Mental Cheating

Hello Everyone!! In today's post I want to talk about what I like to call "Mental Cheating".  Since I began writing "Love Bites", more and more people have come to me with their problems, suggestions and questions about their relationships.  One particular suggestion I got from a friend and reader was to write about "Long Distance Cheating".  This concept grabbed my attention right away because, what exactly makes long distance cheating different than regular cheating?  After further discussion and some research I realize that he meant cheating with someone who you NEVER meet. Let me elaborate... Cheating in my book mean being in a committed relationship with a person and doing something with the opposite with another "partner" that your partner would not allow.  This obviously means sex, touching, kissing and things of the physical nature, but I think it also covers heavy flirting, intimate phone calls, intimate meetings, "Sexting", and much more. Just because you don't actually have intercourse, its still sort of cheating.

Now here's what I like to call "Mental Cheating".  Mental cheating is having an intimate relationship with someone that you never meet in person.  This differs from long distance cheating because the distance doesn't matter, the parties involved will most likely never meet and probably have very little desire to do so.  The person who asked me about this is a handsome man (lets call him John), he is in a committed relationship with a beautiful woman who he is very in love with, and they have started a family together.  He explained to me that over the past year he has begin speaking to other females on the Internet, and more recently over the phone and he feels like hes sort of cheating on his spouse.  I began to ask him why and his reasons we very interesting and eye opening.  John told me that over the years his girlfriend has begun to show him less and less passion and enthusiasm about the relationship. He met a woman online who seemed very interested in him physically and they began chatting.  This woman made John laugh and was interesting, and most importantly found John interesting.  She and John would text and call each other, they would send each other funny emails, and talk about their families, they even Sexted!  John thought she was beautiful inside and out, from what he could gather, and he felt very sexy and wanted when speaking to her.  She lived in another town and they never met.  In my book, that's cheating.  Particularly the Sexting.  I am pretty sure that if his significant other knew about this she would feel violated and unhappy with the situation, so why did he do this? 
He told me that he did this to feel special, and to have a woman feel passionately about him and be interested in everything he did. Over the years his girlfriend had begun to show less and less enthusiasm about him and he sought this from this other woman.  He said that part of him did want to someday meet her, but a part of him didn't. He felt like the relationship was perfect just the way it was.  He had his girlfriend who he loved, he had his family, and he had her, when he needed to talk, or wanted to feel manly, sexy, wanted, and reassured in a way that his wife no longer made him feel. 

What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think "Mental Cheating" is as bad as the real thing? Do you think its more common than we know?

7 Response to Mental Cheating

Anonymous
December 1, 2010 at 8:14 AM

I completely argree that "Mental Cheating" is as bad as the real thing. Think about it, "John" is having a emotional and mental connection, on a level that should only be shared with his significant other. Just the feelings and urges to talk to this female to give him mental satisfaction and make him feel manly, is still wrong in my book.

December 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I agree with you totally, Mental cheating is still cheating but worse, its more selfish than an actual affair if that makes sense. In some cases a mental cheater is not only cheating on their significant other but also cheating themsleves and the person they cheat with, by using them to amp up their ego...

ALEX MATOS
December 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I MENTAL CHEAT ALL THE TIME WITH EVERY GIRL I SEE LMAOO. NAH BUT IF YOUR IN RELATIONSHIP YOU CAN BE JUST THINKING OF ANOTHER WOMEN WHEN YOUR HAVING SEX WITH UR GIRL OR EVEN ANYTHING WITH YOUR GIRL OR WIFE LOL IT JUST UNACCEPTABLE. NO ONE CAN READ EACH OTHER'S MIND SO HOW CAN YOU BE SURE HE OR SHE IS MENTALLY CHEATING ??

ALEX MATOS
December 1, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I MENTAL CHEAT ALL THE TIME WITH EVERY GIRL I SEE LMAOO. NAH BUT IF YOUR IN RELATIONSHIP YOU CAN'T BE JUST THINKING OF ANOTHER WOMEN WHEN YOUR HAVING SEX WITH UR GIRL OR EVEN ANYTHING WITH YOUR GIRL OR WIFE LOL IT JUST UNACCEPTABLE. NO ONE CAN READ EACH OTHER'S MIND SO HOW CAN YOU BE SURE HE OR SHE IS MENTALLY CHEATING ??

December 1, 2010 at 6:25 PM

WOW at this post! Cheating is such a touchy subject for me because I've been on the short end of this too many times! I feel that anything associated with stepping out on your partner is wrong, including mental cheating. When it gets to the point that you are speaking with this person on a daily basis, and they have seen intimate parts of you, even through text, then it's cheating anyway you look at it. How would "John" feel if his girl was doing the same thing?? So many ppl become unsatisfied with their relationships, and instead of either breaking it off or trying to fix the issues, they somehow feel that cheating will solve all. I can go on and on about this...smh

December 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Very true Quay, often times a close friendship breaks thatg barrier and people end up using eachother for selfish gratification. I agree, how would John feel? I can say I imagine he would be really upset if he even entertained the thought of his partner cheating at all!

January 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM


Awesome post. I’ve been browsing online more than three hours today, but I by no means found any fascinating article like yours.
Unfaithful Partners

Post a Comment

 

Total Pageviews

Copyright © 2009 Love Bites All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes